Committee set up discussion voters enrolment issue
Shillong: To ease the standoff between the government and NGOs on enrolment of "dubious" voters in Meghalaya, an all party committee was constituted to discuss the issue.
Deputy Chief Minister Bindo M Lanong will head the committee which will submit its report within a week.
Other members include chief adviser to the government D D Lapang,former chief minister and UDP party chief Donkupar Roy, Leader of Opposition Conrad K Sangma of the NCP besides leaders from the coalition HSPDP and the KHNAM.
The committee would examine the instructions and guidelines issued by the Election Commission of India on the matter of voters? registration process and methods and to suggest as to how these could be adapted to suit the local conditions and circumstances of the state to facilitate registration of genuine and eligible voters with least inconveniences to them, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said.
The Chief Minister further said the committee would identify issues and concerns which are causing difficulties in the enrolment process and prepare an all-party memorandum which could be then taken up with the Election Commission of India following the consensus.
Meanwhile, the NGOs have called for a 12-hour day bandh on Monday to oppose the facilitation of enrolment of "dubious" voters in Meghalaya by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack