Committee set up discussion voters enrolment issue
Shillong: To ease the standoff between the government and NGOs on enrolment of "dubious" voters in Meghalaya, an all party committee was constituted to discuss the issue.
Deputy Chief Minister Bindo M Lanong will head the committee which will submit its report within a week.
Other members include chief adviser to the government D D Lapang,former chief minister and UDP party chief Donkupar Roy, Leader of Opposition Conrad K Sangma of the NCP besides leaders from the coalition HSPDP and the KHNAM.
The committee would examine the instructions and guidelines issued by the Election Commission of India on the matter of voters? registration process and methods and to suggest as to how these could be adapted to suit the local conditions and circumstances of the state to facilitate registration of genuine and eligible voters with least inconveniences to them, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said.
The Chief Minister further said the committee would identify issues and concerns which are causing difficulties in the enrolment process and prepare an all-party memorandum which could be then taken up with the Election Commission of India following the consensus.
Meanwhile, the NGOs have called for a 12-hour day bandh on Monday to oppose the facilitation of enrolment of "dubious" voters in Meghalaya by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mega event today to mark 2 years of BJP govt; Amitabh to host small segment on girl child campaign
- Preity Zinta all set to make her first TV show appearance post wedding! – See pic
- Do you know where is Katrina Kaif's paradise? Watch video
- READ: What Suresh Raina said after Gujarat Lions' dream IPL run ended in Qualifier 2
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic.in 10th Results 2016 CBSE Board: CBSE Class 10th X Exam Result 2016 to be announced today on May 28 at 2 PM