Committee to look into NE communication problem
Agartala: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has formed a high-power committee to look into the problems of communication in the north eastern region and suggest measures for its development, Union minister of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Paban Singh Ghatowar said on Wednesday.
"The committee was formed to deal with connecting all the north eastern capitals with New Delhi through rail and air and develop connectivity within the region by roads, railways and waterways," Ghatowar said here.
"It (committee) would also look into the prospect of connectivity between the region and neighbouring countries and submit reports with suggestions and the government would start working on the basis of the report," he said.
The DoNER minister said the Government of India has laid importance for effective implementation of the Look-East Policy (LEP) for economic development of the northeastern region and without developing infrastructure and improving connectivity this would not be possible to implement the LEP.
Tripura has a good prospect of investment as it is the only state within the region which would be a power surplus state with the commissioning of the 726 Mg Watt gas based thermal power plant at Palatana in Gomati district shortly, Ghatowar informed.
He said conversion of the railway track from narrow gauge to broad gauge in Lumding-Badarpur line in Assam suffered some problems due to insurgency problem, but works were progressing now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB