Committees to counter influx, illegal immigrants
Shillong: The Meghalaya government has constituted two special committees to evolve multi-pronged strategies to counter influx and illegal immigrants, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said on Wednesday.
The mandate of the first committee comprising political leaders would be to suggest strategy, both long term and short term and a practical approach to tackle the problem, Sangma told the Assembly.
The second committee would examine the laws and practices relating to tenancy and suggest specific measures to regulate tenancy practices in the state, he said on the first day of the three-day autumn session.
The problem of influx has serious ramifications on the demography of the state and called for efforts to put in place stringent, comprehensive and an institutionalized mechanism to deal with the issue, the chief minister said, adding, "Our government is fully seized of the matter.”
"The examples of the states in the Northeast cannot be ignored. Timely measures will have to be taken to ensure that we are able to maintain the demographic profile and our tribal identity," he said.
He said task forces have been constituted with him heading the apex level and deputy commissioners at the district level and district magistrates to carry out special drives against influx.
The chief minister`s statement came following demands by several tribal NGOs for introduction of the Inner Line Permit, a provision of the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation, 1873, to protect the indigenous people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’