Committees to counter influx, illegal immigrants
Shillong: The Meghalaya government has constituted two special committees to evolve multi-pronged strategies to counter influx and illegal immigrants, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said on Wednesday.
The mandate of the first committee comprising political leaders would be to suggest strategy, both long term and short term and a practical approach to tackle the problem, Sangma told the Assembly.
The second committee would examine the laws and practices relating to tenancy and suggest specific measures to regulate tenancy practices in the state, he said on the first day of the three-day autumn session.
The problem of influx has serious ramifications on the demography of the state and called for efforts to put in place stringent, comprehensive and an institutionalized mechanism to deal with the issue, the chief minister said, adding, "Our government is fully seized of the matter.”
"The examples of the states in the Northeast cannot be ignored. Timely measures will have to be taken to ensure that we are able to maintain the demographic profile and our tribal identity," he said.
He said task forces have been constituted with him heading the apex level and deputy commissioners at the district level and district magistrates to carry out special drives against influx.
The chief minister`s statement came following demands by several tribal NGOs for introduction of the Inner Line Permit, a provision of the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation, 1873, to protect the indigenous people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen