Compensation, job to wife of slain photojournalist
Imphal: Manipur government will give Rs 5 lakh as compensation to the wife of a photojournalist who was killed in police firing a week ago during a general strike, official sources said on Sunday.
The government has also decided to appoint deceased photojournalist Thangjam Dwijamani`s wife Narmada wife as a primary school teacher.
The decisions were taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister O. Ibobi Singh here last evening, the sources said.
Dwijamani, a photojournalist with the Guwahati-based `Prime News` Channel, was killed on December 30 in police firing during the strike called to protest alleged molestation of a Manipuri film actress Momoko by Livingstone Anal, a Naga militant of the NSCN-IM.
The police opened fire to disperse supporters of the general strike who turned violent and started pelting stones at vehicles.
The strike was called by Film Forum Manipur (FFM) and some other artistes` associations to protest alleged molestation of the actress by Anal who also allegedly fired at two artists who tried to save Momoko during a musical concert at Chandel district on December 18.
A three-member committee headed by Principal Secretary (Home) Suresh Babu was set up to probe the firing while five police personnel have been suspended.
Manipur government has requested the Centre to help nab Anal since NSCN-IM and the central government were on a ceasefire agreement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow