Cong demands action against erring Home Min in Nagaland
Kohima: A week-long budget session of
Nagaland assembly began here today with opposition Congress
members resorting to a novel way of protest demanding actions
against what they called "corrupt ministers and parliamentary
secretaries in the state".
As soon as the House assembled for the day in the morning
hours, the Congress legislators, except one member, were seen
entering the assembly wearing placards on their chest and sat
quietly to participate in the day’s proceedings.
Without making any noise, the members participated in the
proceedings wielding the placards which asked Chief Minister
Neiphiu Rio to take action against the alleged erring
ministers and parliamentary secretaries.
The placards made a specific reference to the detention
of state Home Minister Imkong Imchen at Kathmandu airport in
Nepal on June 30 describing the incident as "disgraceful" to
the Nagas and the nation.
State Urban Development Minister Shurhozelie during
Question Hour following the obituary references drew attention
of Speaker Kiyanilie Peseyie to the act of the Congress
legislators, pointing out that the Rule 273 of Assembly
proceedings does not allow such action.
But the opposition leader Tokheho Yepthomi argued that
since the Congress members did not disrupt the House
proceedings and expressed their grievances, they should be
allowed to wear the placards so that a clear message goes to
the treasury bench for necessary corrections in the
functioning of the government.
Amidst the arguments between the minister and the
opposition leader, Congress legislator Kheto Kini read out the
contents of the placards and demanded actions from the chief
minister against the Home minister and others in the DAN
Pointing out that since the members displayed the placards
for nearly 40 minutes and expressed their displeasure, the
Speaker urged them to remove the same. Following the Speaker’s
directive, the opposition members removed the placards and
continued participating in the proceeding for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert