‘Cong hatching conspiracy with ultras ahead of pol
Agartala: Ruling CPI-M on Monday said a conspiracy had been hatched against it by opposition Congress and a band of surrendered insurgents ahead of the February assembly polls.
"Recently three surrendered insurgents of outlawed National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) were arrested on June 16 with Rs 25 lakh on them which they were to handover to NLFT chief, Biswamohan Debbarma in Bangladesh," CPI-M state secretary Bijan Dhar said.
"During interrogation they told the police that a tribal leader of opposition Congress with the help of surrendered insurgents had hatched a conspiracy to destabilise the Left Front government before the assembly elections," he said.
The NLFT insurgents had planned to organise serial blasts in the state similar to the one in 2008, Dhar alleged adding Congress was recruiting new insurgents in league with the surrendered ones so that they could help Congress snatch power in the next elections.
"Congress is acting as a traitor by recruiting new insurgents," he charged.
The outfit, he said, was shifting its base from Bangladesh following pressure from its security forces to Myanmar. The rebels were now using a part of Mizoram, bordering Tripura as thoroughfare to go to Myanmar and the matter was brought to the notice of the Centre.
Police said on the basis of confession of the arrested insurgents two more surrendered NLFT insurgents, who were involved in recruitment of insurgents and in extortion, were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened