Cong names candidate for Hrangturzo assembly seat
Aizawl: The Mizoram Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) on Friday announced that Vanlalawmpuii Chawngthu, President of the Mizoram Pradesh Youth Congress Committee (MPYCC) would be its official nominee for the by-election to the Hrangturzo assembly seat to be held on April nine.
By-election to the Hrangturzo assembly constituency was necessitated as Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla vacated the seat. La Thanhawla had won from two seats in the state assembly polls held on November 25 last. He retained the Serchhip seat, his home turf.
If elected, Vanlalawmpuii would become the first Mizo woman to be elected to the Mizoram Assembly after a lapse of 27 years.
A Master degree in Political Science and daughter of former Minister C Chawngkuna, Chawngthu has been actively involved in politics for eight years and was mainly in the youth activities.
Earlier, the AICC had announced on Saturday last that C L Ruala, the sitting MP would again contest the election to the lone Mizoram Lok Sabha seat to be held simultaneously on April nine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened