Cong names candidate for Hrangturzo assembly seat
Aizawl: The Mizoram Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) on Friday announced that Vanlalawmpuii Chawngthu, President of the Mizoram Pradesh Youth Congress Committee (MPYCC) would be its official nominee for the by-election to the Hrangturzo assembly seat to be held on April nine.
By-election to the Hrangturzo assembly constituency was necessitated as Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla vacated the seat. La Thanhawla had won from two seats in the state assembly polls held on November 25 last. He retained the Serchhip seat, his home turf.
If elected, Vanlalawmpuii would become the first Mizo woman to be elected to the Mizoram Assembly after a lapse of 27 years.
A Master degree in Political Science and daughter of former Minister C Chawngkuna, Chawngthu has been actively involved in politics for eight years and was mainly in the youth activities.
Earlier, the AICC had announced on Saturday last that C L Ruala, the sitting MP would again contest the election to the lone Mizoram Lok Sabha seat to be held simultaneously on April nine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...