Cong names candidate for Hrangturzo assembly seat
Aizawl: The Mizoram Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) on Friday announced that Vanlalawmpuii Chawngthu, President of the Mizoram Pradesh Youth Congress Committee (MPYCC) would be its official nominee for the by-election to the Hrangturzo assembly seat to be held on April nine.
By-election to the Hrangturzo assembly constituency was necessitated as Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla vacated the seat. La Thanhawla had won from two seats in the state assembly polls held on November 25 last. He retained the Serchhip seat, his home turf.
If elected, Vanlalawmpuii would become the first Mizo woman to be elected to the Mizoram Assembly after a lapse of 27 years.
A Master degree in Political Science and daughter of former Minister C Chawngkuna, Chawngthu has been actively involved in politics for eight years and was mainly in the youth activities.
Earlier, the AICC had announced on Saturday last that C L Ruala, the sitting MP would again contest the election to the lone Mizoram Lok Sabha seat to be held simultaneously on April nine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Hubby Rohit Roy lashes out at wife Dimpy Ganguly’s haters who trolled her for getting pregnant before marriage
- Bollywood celebrities recall Rahul Dev Burman on his 77th birthday
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet to decide final payout for central government employees on June 29
- Apple cheers 2016 Pride celebration with a special rainbow Apple Watch!
- Heavy rainfall expected in Vidarbha, Telangana, Andhra; Monsoon set to enter Delhi, Punjab, Haryana