Cong RS nominee from Meghalaya set to be elected unopposed
Shillong: Congress nominee Wansuk Syiem, who is set to be elected unopposed to the lone Rajya Sabha seat in Meghalaya, filed her nomination papers on Monday on the last day for filing papers.
Syiem, a former member of National Commission for Women, is set to be elected unopposed after opposition regional parties decided not to field any candidate for the April 18 elections.
The seat fell vacant after former Rajya Sabha member Thomas A Sangma (NCP) resigned to contest the Assembly election on a NPP ticket though his term was till April 12, 2014.
The scrutiny of the papers will be taken up tomorrow. The last date for withdrawal of candidature is April 11. Polling would be held between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm and counting of votes at 5:00 pm the same day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015