Cong virtually kicks off campaigning for 2014 assembly poll in Arunachal
Itanagar: Even as the national capital went to polls today, a huge Mahila Congress rally was organized at picturesque Yazali valley in Lower Subansiri distrtict, virtually signalling the beginning of campaigning for the 2014 assembly elections in Arunachal Pradesh.
Women Congress workers from four districts of Upper Subansiri, Lower Subansiri, Kurung Kumey and Papum Pare pledged their allegiance to Congress in what can be described as the beginning of the campaign trail for the assembly elections by the strong women brigade.
Mahila Congress is the backbone of Congress which is the only party that truly acknowledges the role of women in a society and therefore and is committed to their empowerment, said Chief Minister Nabam Tuki in his address.
To prove his point, Tuki said it was former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi who had initiated the 33 per cent reservation for women in local self governments as well as within the party.
He reiterated Congress government in the state was also committed to empowerment of women in all fields. He said his government had promptly constituted the State Commission for Women to deal with women-related issues as a statutory body with quasi-judicial powers and functions.
In its bid to fulfill the commitment to provide safety and security to women, he said that for the first time perhaps in the country, all-women police station was established in the state capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- Left Front to hit the streets against post-poll violence
- 45 union ministers to tour UP on Modi government's second anniversary
- Man who tried shaking hands with lion sent to jail in Hyderabad
- Congress planning to digitalise photographs, speeches of Indira Gandhi
- Left, Congress threaten to skip Mamata's swearing-in, BJP to observe black day