Congress announces list of candidates for Arunachal Pradesh
Itanagar: Congress on Saturday announced its candidates for the April 9 assembly elections in Arunachal Pradesh along with the names of two nominees for the two Lok Sabha seats in the state.
Seven new faces, including son of Arunachal Pradesh Congress President Mukut Mithi, figured in the list which was released by him at Congress Bhawan here this evening.
The new faces include Mama Natung (Seppa West), Dikto Yekar (Daporijo), Talem Tapoh (Rumgong), Tori Ragyor(Mechuka), Tatung Jamoh (Pasighat West), Mutchu Mithi (Roing) and Chow Zingnu Namchoom from Namsai assembly constituency.
While former ministers Kameng Dolo (Pakke-Kessang) and Lombo Tayeng (Mebo) were issued party tickets in place of sitting Congress MLAs Atum Welly and Ralom Borang respectively.
Sitting party MLA P D Sona was also not given ticket this election.
Later talking to reporters Mithi informed that the party tickets were given based on winning prospect of the candidates.
When asked why the participation of women in the election was limited to only two candidates (both sitting MLAs), Mithi disclosed that the party requested all the aspiring candidates to submit applications and only five applications were received.
"Out of five we have selected Karya Bagang (Chayangtajo) and Gum Tayeng (Dambuk) which represents more than 33 per cent," Mithi categorically said.
The party also nominated sitting Lok Sabha MPs Ninong Ering and Takam Sanjoy to contest from Arunachal East and Arunachal West Lok Sabha seat respectively, Mithi added.
Meanwhile, many ticket aspirants who were being denied Congress tickets were reportedly holding parleys with other political parties.
Sitting Congress MLA Atum Welly, who was denied party ticket on Saturday joined the BJP and was likely to contest from Pakke Kessang constituency from BJP, party sources informed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days