Congress announces list of candidates for Mizoram assembly polls
Aizawl: Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla would contest from two constituencies while all the 32 sitting Congress MLAs have been given tickets except one legislator for the November 25 elections to the Mizoram Assembly which the Congress would fight alone by putting up candidates in all the 40 seats.
Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla would contest from two seats - his home turf Serchhip constituency and also from neighbouring Hrangturzo seat in Serchhip district in the coming election to to be held on November 25 as per the candidate list announced by the party today, party sources said here.
Presently the Hrangturzo seat is held by Lalthansanga of the Mizoram`s People`s Conference.
The Congress which bagged 32 seats in the 2008 assembly polls re-nominated all its MLAs except former minister Nirupam Chakma, the sources said.
Chakma would be replaced at Tuichawng seat by the present chief executive member (CEM) of the Chakma Autonomous District Council (CADC) B D Chakma.
Top party leaders - Home Minister R Lalzirliana and Finance Minister H Liansailova and Assembly Speaker R Romawia would contest from Tawi, Aizawl North-II and Aizawl North-I respectively.
Opposition Mizo National Front (MNF), MPC and Maraland Democratic Front (MDF) combine have announced 12 candidates and the rest would be announced on Monday while the Zoram Nationalist Party (ZNP) would also announced its official nominees on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video