Congress concerned over post poll violence in Trip
Agartala: Opposition Congress in Tripura has expressed deep concern over the alleged post poll violence and attacks on its workers by the ruling CPI-M activists and met Governor DY Patil for his intervention.
An AICC delegation, headed by Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, met Governor D Y Patil yesterday and alleged that the CPI-M activists had attacked the workers and supporters of the opposition Congress and also set ablaze many of their houses.
The other members of the delegation were AICC General Secretary Shakil Ahmed, AICC General Secretary and in-charge of Tripura, Luizinho Falerio and Tripura Pradesh Congress Committee (TPCC) President Sudip Roy Burman.
"We informed the Governor about the post-result violence in which several people were injured and hundreds of Congress families rendered homeless due to the violence unleashed by CPM workers", Burman told reporters.
Shakil Ahmed said that the incidents of attack on the Congress workers were reported to the Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
Ahmed said the Legal Cell and the Human Rights Committee of the party was contemplating to file cases in High Court asking for justice.
A group of Congress activists tried to heckle the AICC delegation at Congress Bhavan here yesterday on the plea that when they were facing the attack of ruling party activists, the Congress leadership did not stand by their side.
However, the security contingent of Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had cordoned off the delegation members.
When contacted, police said some stray incidents of attack and counter attack took place in different parts of the state after the results of the elections were announced on February 28 and police was taking appropriate action.
In the February 14 election, the ruling Left Front stormed back to power winning 50 seats out of the total 60 while the opposition Congress bagged ten seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore