Congress hopes to win 20 LS seats in Northeast
New Delhi: Giving a clear indication of its increased focus on the Northeast ahead of next Lok Sabha polls, Congress Friday said it aims at winning over 20 of the total 25 parliamentary seats in the region for which the UPA government has announced a slew of developmental measures.
"Coming election will bring good news for Congress in the Northeast," Union Minister Paban Singh Ghatowar said while dismissing Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as "no challenge" to the party in the region.
A day after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh reviewed various infrastructure projects and earmarked Rs 600 crore for railway network in the region, Ghatowar held a press conference at the AICC headquarters, reiterating Congress` commitment to overall development of northeastern states.
Top leadership of Congress has been focusing on development of the region and party president Sonia Gandhi has also taken up the issues related to infrastructure development there with the Prime Minister earlier.
"Gandhi has been taking continuous interest in the development of the region," Ghatowar, the Minister for Development of Northeastern Region, said.
Maintaining that the GDP growth in the northeast has registered an upward trend in the last nine years, Ghatowar said, "One of the most important reason for this acceleration is the sharp increase in devolution of funds by the Centre for the region which has seen a growth of around 2.5 times more in 2011-12 as compared to 2004-05 when the UPA came to power."
Ghatowar, who hails from Assam, though ruled out early Lok Sabha elections, and expressed confidence that the party will win more than 20 seats in eight states of the region, including Sikkim which together has a total of 25 seats.
"Currently, we have 13 Lok Sabha seats in the region while three others are held by our supporting parties. We are confident of getting more than 20 seats in the Lok Sabha polls," he said.
He said that for the first time in the last 15 years, Congress has formed a government in Meghalaya and Manipur on its sole strength while it got more than 75 per cent seats in civic body polls in Guwahati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in