Congress in Nagaland in poll mode
Kohima: The opposition Congress in Nagaland has asked party workers and supporters to work dedicatedly in the run up to the coming Assembly polls so that it can return to power after a hiatus of ten years.
At a meeting held at Congress Bhavan here, Nagaland Pradesh Congress Committee (NPCC) yesterday said that all sitting MLAs would get party tickets in the election due in March.
The meeting attended by Congress legislators, DCC office bearers, chiefs of Mahila and Youth Congress and Seva Dal, asked party workers and supporters to work dedicatedly at the grass root.
Addressing the meeting, NPCC President S I Jamir exuded confidence that the Congress can return to power if the party worked unitedly with dedication and sacrifice.
Jamir said since there were many aspirants for the party tickets in every Assembly constituency, the DCCs should select a consensus candidate who has proven record of dedication to the party and people of the area.
CLP leader Tokheho said that the party had decided to issue tickets to all sitting MLAs and asked the Congress rank and file in the constituencies to work for the success of the candidates.
He said if the Congress was elected to power, it would provide a clean administration and wipe out corruption.
Tokeho also said that he had decided to contest from Dimapur-III constituency instead of Aghunato which had been represented by him since 1993.
During the meeting with the full bench of Election Commission on Thursday, the NPCC urged the EC to make all arrangements to ensure a free and fair poll in the state.
The tenure of the present Assembly in Nagaland expires on March 18. The last Assembly election was held in the state on March 5, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Woman quits job to become full-time Pokemon Go player
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh moves HC seeking stay on his arrest
- Goa CM orders enquiry over criminal's ''murder'' in prison
- Flight 370: With search suspended, a cold-case file awaits
- Arvind Kejriwal's ex-principal secretary Rajendra Kumar granted bail