`Congress’ Manipur visit was to help Naga talks`
Kohima: With objections by ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) over recent visit of a Congress team from state to Manipur, former chief minister SC Jamir on Friday said that the meeting was an effort to help resolve Naga issue.
A five-member Nagaland Congress team led by Jamir recently visited Imphal and met Manipur Pradesh Congress president and Home Minister Gaikham Gaigam and Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh "to seek their moral support for the party" for the coming Assembly Election in Nagaland.
Referring to the unofficial visit, Jamir in a statement said, "It is unfortunate that in Nagaland there is a tendency to look at every sincere and honest effort with jaundiced eyes."
Jamir, former governor of Goa and Maharashtra, said that as members of the Congress family, it was felt strongly by the five-member team that Manipur Chief Minister should be apprised of the genuine feelings of all sections of the people involved in the on-going Naga political process.
"The decades of political negotiation (between the Centre and underground groups) is on the threshold of final consummation in which Manipur had to play a positive role," he said.
"It was time for all the organisations to put their very sincere efforts to help in the early solution of Naga problem and fall in line with the resolution of 60 MLAs (of Nagaland Assembly) in this great political experiment," the statement said.
On July 19 last year all the 60 MLAs of Nagaland Assembly resolved that they were ready to resign to pave the way for an alternative political arrangement in the event of an early political settlement of the protracted Naga conflict.
All the legislators went to New Delhi to inform the central leaders, including the Prime Minister, about their decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?