`Congress’ Manipur visit was to help Naga talks`
Kohima: With objections by ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) over recent visit of a Congress team from state to Manipur, former chief minister SC Jamir on Friday said that the meeting was an effort to help resolve Naga issue.
A five-member Nagaland Congress team led by Jamir recently visited Imphal and met Manipur Pradesh Congress president and Home Minister Gaikham Gaigam and Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh "to seek their moral support for the party" for the coming Assembly Election in Nagaland.
Referring to the unofficial visit, Jamir in a statement said, "It is unfortunate that in Nagaland there is a tendency to look at every sincere and honest effort with jaundiced eyes."
Jamir, former governor of Goa and Maharashtra, said that as members of the Congress family, it was felt strongly by the five-member team that Manipur Chief Minister should be apprised of the genuine feelings of all sections of the people involved in the on-going Naga political process.
"The decades of political negotiation (between the Centre and underground groups) is on the threshold of final consummation in which Manipur had to play a positive role," he said.
"It was time for all the organisations to put their very sincere efforts to help in the early solution of Naga problem and fall in line with the resolution of 60 MLAs (of Nagaland Assembly) in this great political experiment," the statement said.
On July 19 last year all the 60 MLAs of Nagaland Assembly resolved that they were ready to resign to pave the way for an alternative political arrangement in the event of an early political settlement of the protracted Naga conflict.
All the legislators went to New Delhi to inform the central leaders, including the Prime Minister, about their decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach