Congress MLAs urge Centre to be `firm` on border issues
Imphal: Congress legislators in Manipur have urged the Centre to be `very firm` on protection of state territory during the proposed re-survey of `undemarcated` border areas along Indo-Myanmar border in Chandel district.
"The decision to approach the Centre on safeguarding of Manipur boundary was taken during a meeting of Congress Legislature Party (CLP) presided over by Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh on Wednesday evening," government spokesman and Education Minister Moirangthem Okendro said on Thursday.
He said the meeting also discussed the recent felling of trees by Myanmar army or officials just near Holenphai village, three kilometre south of Moreh, for construction of a `temporary base camp`.
The erection of border fencing near Moreh, now stopped following demand for resurvey of `undemarcated` borderline, prompted several political parties and civil societies to press their demand for resurvey of the border before the construction of fencing, Okendro said.
Various organisations had said if the fencing was erected before doing the re-survey, several villages would fall within the territory of the neighbouring country.
Official sources said there was so far `no incursion or intrusion` by Myanmar army or officials in Manipur territory.
Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh had said in June that there was `undemarcated` border areas around border pillar 76 adding that some border pillars, near Moreh, were also still missing.
The state government during a recent cabinet meeting had urged the centre to take initiative with Myanmar authorities to settle the border issues, officials said adding that Indian ambassador in Myanmar has been asked to discuss with relevant authorities for re-survey at Manipur-Myanmar border areas at places where border pillars were missing.
All major political parties including CPI and Manipur People`s Party had urged the centre to settle the issue since it was a `very sensitive one`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price