Congress, MNF candidates file nominations for Mizoram RS seat
Aizawl: Candidates of Congress and MNF filed nomination papers on Monday to contest the election to the lone Mizoram Rajya Sabha seat, state Assembly secretary and Returning Officer for the polls Ngurthanzuala said.
Ngurthanzuala said Ronald Sapa Tlau of the ruling Congress and L Ramkinlova of the opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) filed papers on the last day for filing nominations today for the election to be held on June 19.
The term of the sitting Rajya Sabha member Lalhming Liana of the MNF, who was elected for two consecutive terms, ends on July 18.
The ruling Congress has 34 legislators in the 40-member state Assembly, while the MNF has five legislators and its junior partner the Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC) has one member.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?