Congress sounds panchayat poll bugle in Assam
Guwahati: In the run-up to 2013 panchayat polls in Assam, the state unit of Congress has formulated a set of strategies, including strengthening its block committees and local media cells, to streamline its campaign.
Assam Pradesh Congress Committee (APCC) chairman Bhubaneshwar Kalita on Monday said that executive committee meetings of all district committees have been completed and those of block committees would be over soon.
"Next we intend to finish up such meetings at the gram panchayat level by May 31. In the last panchayat polls, the Congress secured around 77 per cent of the seats in Assam and three successive victories in Assembly polls have shown that people have accepted us," Kalita, who is also a member of the Rajya Sabha, said.
"The meetings are intended to build our strategy for the panchayat polls and we are also building up a campaign to make the voters aware about various social and economic projects taken up by both the central and state governments, like the MNREGA," he said.
There are 20 zilla parishads, 188 anchalik panchayats and over 2,200 gaon panchayats in Assam, as per state government data.
Congress party is planning to organise a state-wide Panchayat Sammelan in Guwahati by end of this year to draw the final game plan for the polls.
"Besides, we also seek to strengthen our media cells at local level and have more interaction and exchange of view with the mass media," Kalita said, adding that a state level media convention of the Congress would be held in Guwahati on May 26-27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand