Congress sounds panchayat poll bugle in Assam
Guwahati: In the run-up to 2013 panchayat polls in Assam, the state unit of Congress has formulated a set of strategies, including strengthening its block committees and local media cells, to streamline its campaign.
Assam Pradesh Congress Committee (APCC) chairman Bhubaneshwar Kalita on Monday said that executive committee meetings of all district committees have been completed and those of block committees would be over soon.
"Next we intend to finish up such meetings at the gram panchayat level by May 31. In the last panchayat polls, the Congress secured around 77 per cent of the seats in Assam and three successive victories in Assembly polls have shown that people have accepted us," Kalita, who is also a member of the Rajya Sabha, said.
"The meetings are intended to build our strategy for the panchayat polls and we are also building up a campaign to make the voters aware about various social and economic projects taken up by both the central and state governments, like the MNREGA," he said.
There are 20 zilla parishads, 188 anchalik panchayats and over 2,200 gaon panchayats in Assam, as per state government data.
Congress party is planning to organise a state-wide Panchayat Sammelan in Guwahati by end of this year to draw the final game plan for the polls.
"Besides, we also seek to strengthen our media cells at local level and have more interaction and exchange of view with the mass media," Kalita said, adding that a state level media convention of the Congress would be held in Guwahati on May 26-27.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents