Congress wins municipal elections in Arunachal
Itanagar: The ruling Congress in Arunachal Pradesh has won the Itanagar and Pasighat municipality elections with absolute majority by bagging 21 and 7 seats respectively.
The elections to the civic body was held for the first time in the state on May 16 along with the three-tier Panchayat elections Out of total 30 ward councilor`s seats in Itanagar and 12 in Pasighat under East Siang district, election was held in 39 wards as three Congress candidates including two in Pasighat municipality elected unopposed.
Altogether 102 candidates were in the fray in the civic poll.
The Congress has won in 21 seats (including one unopposed), NCP (4), BJP (3) and one each by Peoples? Party of Arunachal and Independent in the Itanagar municipal poll, while the party in power bagged 7 (including two uncontested) in Pasighat municipal election followed by BJP (2) and three Independents, State Election Commissioner (SEC) K D Singh said today.
The Congress has fielded 34 candidates (excluding three unopposed), while opposition BJP (29) followed by Peoples Party of Arunachal (12), NCP (10) besides 14 Independent candidates.
Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) were used for the municipal elections.
Singh further informed that the results for Panchayat election being held simultaneously would be available only tomorrow after compilation of the results from each districts.
However, according to the results available, the Congress won majority of the seats, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi