Congress wins two tribal autonomous councils in Meghalaya
Shillong: In a boost to the ruling Congress in Meghalaya, the party today emerged victorious in the two tribal autonomous council elections held on Monday winning the highest number of seats in both the councils.
Congress which contested in all the 58 seats has won 10 out of 29 seats in Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council closely followed by Hills State People`s Democratic Party (HSPDP) which won 7 seats and the United Democratic Party (UDP) which won six seats.
Khun Hynniewtrep Awakening Movement (KHNAM) won four seats while the Nationalist Party (NCP) managed to pull one back with one Independent.
District Council Affairs Minister H D R Lyngdoh, Deputy Speaker Sanbor Shullai and the two outgoing Chief Executive Members - Pynshngainlang N Syiem and Madonbai Rymbai - retained their seats from Mawsynram constituency and Sohmynting - Khliehtyrshi constituency respectively along with three other sitting legislators retained their seats.
Sitting UDP legislators Remington Pyngrope and Titosstarwell Chyne lost to Congress candidates Banteidor Lyngdoh and Donevan Wahlang.
In the Jaintia Hills Autonomous District Council, the Congress has won 14 seats while the UDP has won six seats after the tie between two candidates went in favour of the Congress.
Nine seats are bagged by Independent candidates with the other regional parties recording a blank.
Four women out of 14 were elected with only one of them getting elected in the JHADC.
Overwhelmed by the his party performance, Congress chief in Meghalaya D D Lapang exuded confidence that the Congress will form the executive committee in both the councils.
"The result has proven to us that the people have faith in the Congress and we will deliver the goods," Lapang told PTI.
Over six lakh tribal voters (6,95,747) casted their votes out of 8,77,615 eligible voters (83.19 per cent) to the two automous councils elections held on Monday in which 212 candidates of 10 different political parties contested for 58 seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list