Constitutional amendment demanded to protect Arunachal tribes
Itanagar: The Arunachal Pradesh unit of BJP has demanded a constitutional amendment to delete the words "any Naga tribe" suffixed after the Nocte, Tangsa, Wancho, Tutsa and other tribes in the Scheduled Tribes list of the state.
In a representation to the Union Minister of Tribal Affairs Jual Oram recently in New Delhi, the party had stated that the tribes, residing in Tirap, Changlang and Longding districts, were facing identity crisis and were inconvenienced in various official works as they were not recognised by the Centre as separate entities from "any Naga Tribe", a party release said here today.
The youths of these districts while appearing for UPSC and state Public Service Commission examinations were also facing problem because of the name, the representation said.
"The government of Arunachal Pradesh has recommended for a constitutional amendment to the Constitution (Scheduled Tribe) Order, 1950 for deletion of the words "any Naga Tribe" from the ST list of Arunachal Pradesh in the larger interest of the people and recognition of the Nocte, Wancho, Tangsa, Tutsa, and other tribes in the ambit of "any Naga tribe" to Scheduled Tribes (STs) list of the state," the party said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what