Constitutional amendment demanded to protect Arunachal tribes
Itanagar: The Arunachal Pradesh unit of BJP has demanded a constitutional amendment to delete the words "any Naga tribe" suffixed after the Nocte, Tangsa, Wancho, Tutsa and other tribes in the Scheduled Tribes list of the state.
In a representation to the Union Minister of Tribal Affairs Jual Oram recently in New Delhi, the party had stated that the tribes, residing in Tirap, Changlang and Longding districts, were facing identity crisis and were inconvenienced in various official works as they were not recognised by the Centre as separate entities from "any Naga Tribe", a party release said here today.
The youths of these districts while appearing for UPSC and state Public Service Commission examinations were also facing problem because of the name, the representation said.
"The government of Arunachal Pradesh has recommended for a constitutional amendment to the Constitution (Scheduled Tribe) Order, 1950 for deletion of the words "any Naga Tribe" from the ST list of Arunachal Pradesh in the larger interest of the people and recognition of the Nocte, Wancho, Tangsa, Tutsa, and other tribes in the ambit of "any Naga tribe" to Scheduled Tribes (STs) list of the state," the party said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When RCB skipper Virat Kohli turned painter!
- Focus on political consensus for GST: Industry to government
- Would love to do 'Charlie's Angels' with Jacqueline, Nargis: Lisa Haydon
- Barack Obama banishes Vietnam war era with lifting of arms ban
- India braces for more heat after temperature breaks records; over 300 dead in Telangana