Consumer court fines postal department in Arunachal
Itanagar: A consumer court in an Arunachal district has imposed a fine on postal department for negligence of duty in delivering an important document to a customer.
The court in East Siang district while disposing a case, had directed the Post and Telegraph (P&T) department to pay Rs 20,000 as compensation to Ratul Paboh of Oyan, who could not attend the Arunachal Pradesh Public Service Commission (APPSC) preliminary examination due to negligence of the department in delivering the call letter on time.
The call letter which was posted at Itanagar on December 12, 2009 was delivered to the candidate on March 25, 2010 after four months, official sources said here on Thursday.
Ironically the letter, which reached Pasighat, the district headquarters on December 18, was delivered to the candidate at Oyan which is 26 kilometer from the post office, only on March 25, 2010.
The late delivery of the letter deprived Paboh from sitting for the examination.
In another incident, the court also imposed a fine of Rs 1000 on a private travel agency after receiving complaint from a passenger.
The district consumer forum headed by the Deputy Commissioner Nidhi Srivastava had also directed the SBI (Pasighat Branch) authority to pay an amount of Rs 5000 to a local businessman, who had lodged a complaint of short receipt of money while withdrawing money from the ATM, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters