Contraband drugs worth Rs 2.40 crore seized in Mizoram
Aizawl: Mizoram drug authorities have seized from a house here 120,000 tablets of methamphetamine - illegally used as a stimulant - which had been smuggled in from Myanmar, an officer said Friday.
According to officials of the narcotics cell, the drug haul was worth Rs 2.40 crore in the local market.
"In a joint raid, the officials of narcotics cell and Mizoram`s crime investigation department have seized the drugs consignment, weighing 14 kg, from the house of one Lalremruata (46) Thursday night," a police spokesman told reporters.
Lalremruata, who was arrested by the police, told officers that he bought the contraband from people who smuggled various items from across the Myanmar border.
Famous among the Mizo youths as `Meth` or `party drug` and also as `ecstasy`, methamphetamine is a highly addictive stimulant drug that seriously affects the human nervous system.
Last week, three women were arrested here with 17.5 gm of heroin worth around Rs.5 lakh. They told police that the contraband was smuggled from neighbouring Myanmar.
Mizoram shares a 722-km unfenced border with Myanmar and Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!