Cop goes `missing` with arms
Shillong: A Meghalaya Police constable has gone missing with two rifles and some ammunition and is suspected to have joined a militant group Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA).
Constable Savio Marak’s company was deployed in the ethnic-violence hit Mendipthar area of East Garo Hills district and was about to return to Shillong on Friday, police said on Sunday.
Marak has been `missing` since then with two INSAS rifles and 60 rounds of ammunition.
One team of security men, including army troopers, is conducting a manhunt along the Assam-Meghalaya border with dog squads to trace Marak.
It is suspected that Marak has joined the GNLA, a senior police official said.
GNLA, a nascent Garo militant group, was floated by a deserter DSP of Meghalaya Police, Champion Sangma.
The group is blamed for rampant extortion in kidnappings in the three districts of Garo hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown