Cop goes `missing` with arms
Shillong: A Meghalaya Police constable has gone missing with two rifles and some ammunition and is suspected to have joined a militant group Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA).
Constable Savio Marak’s company was deployed in the ethnic-violence hit Mendipthar area of East Garo Hills district and was about to return to Shillong on Friday, police said on Sunday.
Marak has been `missing` since then with two INSAS rifles and 60 rounds of ammunition.
One team of security men, including army troopers, is conducting a manhunt along the Assam-Meghalaya border with dog squads to trace Marak.
It is suspected that Marak has joined the GNLA, a senior police official said.
GNLA, a nascent Garo militant group, was floated by a deserter DSP of Meghalaya Police, Champion Sangma.
The group is blamed for rampant extortion in kidnappings in the three districts of Garo hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video