`Country`s longest rail-cum-road bridge nearing completion`
Dibrugarh: A decade after commencement of construction work of India`s longest rail-cum-road bridge over the Brahmaputra river in Assam, considered crucial for the defence requirement of the region, the mega project still awaits completion.
Work on the 4.940-km long Bogibeel rail-cum road bridge connecting Assam with Arunachal Pradesh, was sanctioned in 1997-98 and the foundation stone of the multi-crore project was laid by former Prime Minister A B Vajpayee on April 21, 2002.
Since then, Railways has revised the estimated cost of the project from the initial Rs 1767 crore to Rs 3230 crore. Till date, a total of Rs 2404 crore has been spent on it.
"The work on the bridge is expected to be commissioned by the end of 2015," said Ajit Pandit, Chief Engineer of the project.
Admitting "delay" and cost escalation, Pandit said, "There was a fund shortage and the pace of the work gained momentum only after the project was declared a national project in 2007.
Then the rise in the cost of cement and steel are also factors responsible for the cost escalation."
Work on the substructure, executed by Northeast Frontier Railway is also under progress. "We have completed 32 wells (pillars) out of 42 wells. Rest will be completed by June 2013," Pandit said.
About the constraints in executing the project, he said, "The main constraint was the availability of dry season as we get only four dry months from November 15 to March 15 and rest of the months, it rains here. It is difficult to construct piers in the river during rains."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH