`Country`s longest rail-cum-road bridge nearing completion`
Dibrugarh: A decade after commencement of construction work of India`s longest rail-cum-road bridge over the Brahmaputra river in Assam, considered crucial for the defence requirement of the region, the mega project still awaits completion.
Work on the 4.940-km long Bogibeel rail-cum road bridge connecting Assam with Arunachal Pradesh, was sanctioned in 1997-98 and the foundation stone of the multi-crore project was laid by former Prime Minister A B Vajpayee on April 21, 2002.
Since then, Railways has revised the estimated cost of the project from the initial Rs 1767 crore to Rs 3230 crore. Till date, a total of Rs 2404 crore has been spent on it.
"The work on the bridge is expected to be commissioned by the end of 2015," said Ajit Pandit, Chief Engineer of the project.
Admitting "delay" and cost escalation, Pandit said, "There was a fund shortage and the pace of the work gained momentum only after the project was declared a national project in 2007.
Then the rise in the cost of cement and steel are also factors responsible for the cost escalation."
Work on the substructure, executed by Northeast Frontier Railway is also under progress. "We have completed 32 wells (pillars) out of 42 wells. Rest will be completed by June 2013," Pandit said.
About the constraints in executing the project, he said, "The main constraint was the availability of dry season as we get only four dry months from November 15 to March 15 and rest of the months, it rains here. It is difficult to construct piers in the river during rains."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks