Court finds prima facie evidence against Iron Sharmila Chanu
Imphal: A local court has ruled that there is prima facie evidence of attempt to commit suicide against Manipur social activist Irom Sharmila Chanu, who has been on fast for the past 13 years to demand withdrawal of Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from the state.
Chief Judicial Magistrate of Imphal East A Noutuneshwori gave the ruling yesterday after an FIR was filed by Manipur Police.
Cross examination of the prosecution will begin from July 7.
Speaking to reporters later at the court complex, Sharmila said she was not trying to commit suicide but only demanding withdrawal of AFSPA from the state.
She said her demand was solely the withdrawal of AFSPA so that people could live without any fear in the state.
Sharmila launched her fast in November 2000 after ten persons were killed allegedly by Assam Rifles in an encounter with militants at Malom near Imphal airport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday