CPI begins month-long campaign against AFSPA in Manipur
Imphal: CPI Manipur state council has begun a month-long campaign to demand scrapping the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), reintroduction of inner line permit system in Manipur and establishment of a fast track court for dealing with crimes against women, party sources said on Saturday.
The campaign which would include meetings and mobilisation of people throughout the state during the month was launched last evening at the CPI office at Rupmahal Tank here with senior party leaders M Nara (state council secretary) and L Iboyaima (former state council secretary).
Addressing the gathering of party workers and sympathisers, Iboyaima said that the campaign would continue till March 3. Human rights violations, unabated influx of migrants, rising number of unemployed youths and unavailability of PDS items in time would be highlighted during the meetings at various places.
He said the rising crimes against the women, shortage of drinking water would also be discussed with the people, adding that CPI state council would seek cooperation of civil society organisations and students bodies during the campaign.
Both Nara and Iboyaima said the party would also raise its demand for closure of NSCN-IM camps in the territory of Manipur, if any, since the ceasefire agreement between the Centre and NSCN-IM was in force only in Nagaland State.
Nara said enforcement of inner line permit system is a major issue since the uninterrupted influx of migrants from outside the state whose number is now more than the total tribal population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi