CPI begins month-long campaign against AFSPA in Manipur
Imphal: CPI Manipur state council has begun a month-long campaign to demand scrapping the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), reintroduction of inner line permit system in Manipur and establishment of a fast track court for dealing with crimes against women, party sources said on Saturday.
The campaign which would include meetings and mobilisation of people throughout the state during the month was launched last evening at the CPI office at Rupmahal Tank here with senior party leaders M Nara (state council secretary) and L Iboyaima (former state council secretary).
Addressing the gathering of party workers and sympathisers, Iboyaima said that the campaign would continue till March 3. Human rights violations, unabated influx of migrants, rising number of unemployed youths and unavailability of PDS items in time would be highlighted during the meetings at various places.
He said the rising crimes against the women, shortage of drinking water would also be discussed with the people, adding that CPI state council would seek cooperation of civil society organisations and students bodies during the campaign.
Both Nara and Iboyaima said the party would also raise its demand for closure of NSCN-IM camps in the territory of Manipur, if any, since the ceasefire agreement between the Centre and NSCN-IM was in force only in Nagaland State.
Nara said enforcement of inner line permit system is a major issue since the uninterrupted influx of migrants from outside the state whose number is now more than the total tribal population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden