CPI-M reprimands legislator for abusing cops
Agartala: In an unprecedented action, the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) on Friday reprimanded one of its legislators for abusing state police personnel.
CPI-M member of Tripura legislative assembly Shankar Prasad Datta reportedly took two people who had been detained by the police away from a police station forcibly. The two men were reportedly party members and close to the legislator.
It is alleged that the MLA abused the officer-in-charge of the East Agartala police station.
The two men had been detained in connection with an illegal lottery and forcible collection of puja subscriptions.
"Our party reprimanded Datta for such acts, and did not approve of the mistreatment and abuse of policemen," CPI-M state secretary Bijan Dhar told reporters.
Dhar, also a CPI-M central committee member, said: "Behaviour of our party men and legislators should not be like that of Congress men and other parties` members. What Datta has done could have been avoided."
The CPI-M leader alleged that many Congress leaders, including former chief minister Samir Ranjan Barman, had assaulted police officials and attacked police stations in the past, but the Congress leadership had remained silent.
The main opposition Congress has demanded legal action against the CPI-M legislator.
"Video footage showed that Datta abused the police officer in the police station itself, and took away the two detained persons forcibly," Congress spokesperson Ashok Sinha told reporters.
The Congress has also demanded that a case be registered against the CPI-M lawmaker.
"It is now clear that the CPI-M leaders have been patronising criminals in the state... Chief Minister Manik Sarkar is also responsible for such lawlessness," Sinha said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you