CPI-Maoist planning to strengthen base in Northeast
Ranchi: The CPI(Maoist), on the backfoot after prolonged operations in Saranda forest in Jharkhand`s West Singhbhum district, is planning to strengthen itself with tie-ups with insurgent groups in the Northeast.
A letter sent to 13 states, including Jharkhand, by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs on Maoist efforts to expand to new areas said that they planned to strengthen their Eastern Regional Bureau which was guiding the movement in all the states of the eastern region.
"... The Northeast is another region where the CPI (Maoist) is trying to spread its wings ... With the objectives include strengthening the outfit`s Eastern Regional Bureau, procurement of arms/ammunition/communication equipment," the six-page letter said.
It noted that the CPI-Maoist had developed close relationship with the Manipur-based People`s Liberation Army, which was not only in a position to procure weapons from foreign sources, but had also provided training to Maoist cadres.
The NSCN (I/M) also appeared to have been used for training to the rebels, it said.
The letter, however, said it would not be easy for the Maoists to establish themselves in the Northeast abounding in ethnicity based militias, but they could use their `theoretical support` to `nationalities` and to gain a foothold in the region and forge relationships with ethnic militant groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read