CPI-Maoist planning to strengthen base in Northeast
Ranchi: The CPI(Maoist), on the backfoot after prolonged operations in Saranda forest in Jharkhand`s West Singhbhum district, is planning to strengthen itself with tie-ups with insurgent groups in the Northeast.
A letter sent to 13 states, including Jharkhand, by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs on Maoist efforts to expand to new areas said that they planned to strengthen their Eastern Regional Bureau which was guiding the movement in all the states of the eastern region.
"... The Northeast is another region where the CPI (Maoist) is trying to spread its wings ... With the objectives include strengthening the outfit`s Eastern Regional Bureau, procurement of arms/ammunition/communication equipment," the six-page letter said.
It noted that the CPI-Maoist had developed close relationship with the Manipur-based People`s Liberation Army, which was not only in a position to procure weapons from foreign sources, but had also provided training to Maoist cadres.
The NSCN (I/M) also appeared to have been used for training to the rebels, it said.
The letter, however, said it would not be easy for the Maoists to establish themselves in the Northeast abounding in ethnicity based militias, but they could use their `theoretical support` to `nationalities` and to gain a foothold in the region and forge relationships with ethnic militant groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi