CPI(M) expels leader over `bed-of-cash` video
Agartala: The Tripura CPI(M) leader, who was caught on camera lying on bundles of currency notes, has been expelled from the party for "immoral work" and tarnishing the image of the party.
Samar Acharjee, member of Bankumari Local Committee, was expelled from the party for immoral work, tarnishing the image of the party and earning money by illegal means, Subrata Chakraborty, Secretary of Dukli Divisional Committee said.
The decision to expel Acharjee from the party was taken following deliberations of the Dukli Divisional Committee last evening, he said.
Acharjee, a contractor by profession, was shown lying on bundles of currency notes on television footage last Thursday.
Acharjee was heard in the footage saying, "I have withdrawn Rs 20 lakh from my bank account and fulfilled my long-cherished dream of sleeping on a bed of money."
The CPI(M) leader said in the footage, "I am not a hypocrite like other party members who depict themselves as proletariat, yet have a huge amount of money."
Chakraborty said the matter came to the notice of the party on October 10 last and the divisional committee served him a notice to explain reasons for doing such an act, but his replies were not satisfactory.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living