CPI(M) expels leader over `bed-of-cash` video
Agartala: The Tripura CPI(M) leader, who was caught on camera lying on bundles of currency notes, has been expelled from the party for "immoral work" and tarnishing the image of the party.
Samar Acharjee, member of Bankumari Local Committee, was expelled from the party for immoral work, tarnishing the image of the party and earning money by illegal means, Subrata Chakraborty, Secretary of Dukli Divisional Committee said.
The decision to expel Acharjee from the party was taken following deliberations of the Dukli Divisional Committee last evening, he said.
Acharjee, a contractor by profession, was shown lying on bundles of currency notes on television footage last Thursday.
Acharjee was heard in the footage saying, "I have withdrawn Rs 20 lakh from my bank account and fulfilled my long-cherished dream of sleeping on a bed of money."
The CPI(M) leader said in the footage, "I am not a hypocrite like other party members who depict themselves as proletariat, yet have a huge amount of money."
Chakraborty said the matter came to the notice of the party on October 10 last and the divisional committee served him a notice to explain reasons for doing such an act, but his replies were not satisfactory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA