CPI(M) to form broad based platform of Left parties: Karat
Agartala: CPI-M will soon form a broad based platform of Left parties to organise intensive movements in the country to resist alleged communalisation of politics by the ruling BJP, party general secretary Prakash Karat said on Thursday.
There were at least 27 incidents of communal clashes and all these were happening due to communalisation of politics, he said.
"We have also noticed a right ward shift in the economic and foreign policy of the government and communalisation in education and cultural policies after the BJP-led by Narendra Modi came to power.
"Now it has become a necessity to unite all Left parties to form a broad based political platform to fight against these policies," Karat said.
The CPI(M) general secretary was speaking at a function organised by the party to celebrate 35 years of `Daily Desher Katha`, its mouthpiece in Tripura.
"Seeing the economic or corporate policy of the present government, it seems there is no difference between the erstwhile Congress-led UPA government and this BJP-led NDA government. Only basic difference is the NDA government can implement their policies as they have a huge majority in the Parliament," Karat said.
The UPA government led by Manmohan Singh wanted Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in 2008, but could not pass a bill in this regard because they did not have majority in the Parliament. This time the NDA could do it with their numbers, he said.
Karat also criticised the government for not condemning the attacks on Gaza by Israel.
"Our government wants a tie-up with the Israeli government in defence and intelligence sectors, so it did not condemn the attacks," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?