Create income-generating schemes in farming sector, minister
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh Agriculture minister Chowna Mein has stressed the need for motivation of all stakeholders, introduction of high yielding varieties of crops and involvement of rural youths in farming by creating income-generating schemes in the farming sector.
During a meeting with departmental officers here yesterday to review the status of schemes and programmes of the department, the minister emphasized the need to explore the feasibility for creation of more irrigation systems particularly in the foothill areas for higher production, a press release said here today.
The minister appreciated the plea of the department for arrangement of state matching share to acess central government funding against various innovative schemes and assured to take up the matter with appropriate authority.
Earlier, in a power point presentation, Agriculture Advisor A K Purkayastha elucidated the present status and future strategies for food and farm income security of the state and pointed out few important issues for consideration of the state government.
The Agri & allied sectors contribution to state GDP was 31.6 per cent during 2011-12 as against 24.9 per cent during 2006-07 and the crop production programme in the state has maintained around 8 per cent annual growth rate in the first two years (2012-14) of the XII Plan against 6.5 per cent target, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins