Create income-generating schemes in farming sector, minister
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh Agriculture minister Chowna Mein has stressed the need for motivation of all stakeholders, introduction of high yielding varieties of crops and involvement of rural youths in farming by creating income-generating schemes in the farming sector.
During a meeting with departmental officers here yesterday to review the status of schemes and programmes of the department, the minister emphasized the need to explore the feasibility for creation of more irrigation systems particularly in the foothill areas for higher production, a press release said here today.
The minister appreciated the plea of the department for arrangement of state matching share to acess central government funding against various innovative schemes and assured to take up the matter with appropriate authority.
Earlier, in a power point presentation, Agriculture Advisor A K Purkayastha elucidated the present status and future strategies for food and farm income security of the state and pointed out few important issues for consideration of the state government.
The Agri & allied sectors contribution to state GDP was 31.6 per cent during 2011-12 as against 24.9 per cent during 2006-07 and the crop production programme in the state has maintained around 8 per cent annual growth rate in the first two years (2012-14) of the XII Plan against 6.5 per cent target, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy