Curfew imposed in entire Manipur valley
Imphal: Indefinite curfew was Monday imposed in the entire Manipur valley as roads were blocked and tyres set ablaze as part of protests against the alleged molestation of a film actress by a Naga militant and the killing of a journalist in police firing, official sources said.
As soon as the 16-hour curfew clamped in Imphal East and Imphal West from 2:00 PM yesterday ended this morning, people streamed out on to roads with the support of major social organisations and began blocking them and setting ablaze inflammable material, including tyres, the sources said.
Following this, curfew was clamped from 11:00 AM in Imphal East, Imphal West, as well as Bishenpur and Thoubal districts where the disturbances had spread, the sources said.
Earlier yesterday, the president of the Manipur Film Forum (MFF) Surjakanta Sharma had announced relaxation of the general strike from midnight last night till December 26 midnight in view of Christmas.
A section of the MFF, however, disagreed and told local media last evening that there was no question of relaxation of the general strike.
The sources said since the curfew was imposed suddenly, the police were going around with public address systems in the valley districts asking people to remain indoors because of curfew.
They said that hundreds of people particularly from hill areas who came to shop for Christmas were stranded in different parts of the valley districts.
They were likely to be sent back with security escort, they said.
A journalist was killed in police firing yesterday amidst protests during an indefinite general strike called by the MFF demanding the arrest of NSCN-IM militant Livingstone Anal who had allegedly molested film actress Momoko and threatened two other artistes on December 18 at Chandel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm