Curfew relaxed during the day in West Garo Hills
Shillong: Curfew clamped in West Garo Hills district bordering Assam following circulation of communal text messages, was relaxed during daytime today, in view of the improved law and order situation on Friday, officials said.
Curfew has been lifted from 6 am to 4 pm in view of the situation being under control, F D Sangma, Inspector General of Police (Western Range) said.
He said the relief was made after the district authorities had met with members of the civil societies last evening and in view of the improvement of the situation.
However, curfew will continue during the night hours till the matter fully subsides, he said.
Curfew was imposed since Tuesday night in Phulbari, Rajabala, Bhaitbari, Singhimari and adjoining areas bordering Assam’s Dhubri district on Tuesday night after communal text messages were inciting communal violence, officials said.
The district authorities have issued advisories to all political leaders, legislators and MPs to stay away from the curfew-bound areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars