Curfew relaxed during the day in West Garo Hills
Shillong: Curfew clamped in West Garo Hills district bordering Assam following circulation of communal text messages, was relaxed during daytime today, in view of the improved law and order situation on Friday, officials said.
Curfew has been lifted from 6 am to 4 pm in view of the situation being under control, F D Sangma, Inspector General of Police (Western Range) said.
He said the relief was made after the district authorities had met with members of the civil societies last evening and in view of the improvement of the situation.
However, curfew will continue during the night hours till the matter fully subsides, he said.
Curfew was imposed since Tuesday night in Phulbari, Rajabala, Bhaitbari, Singhimari and adjoining areas bordering Assam’s Dhubri district on Tuesday night after communal text messages were inciting communal violence, officials said.
The district authorities have issued advisories to all political leaders, legislators and MPs to stay away from the curfew-bound areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon