Curfew relaxed in Assam`s Karimganj district
Karimganj: With no fresh incident reported,
authorities on Saturday relaxed curfew in violence and arson hit
areas of Assam`s Karimganj district.
The army staged flag marches throughout the night to
instil confidence among the people and prevent violence which
broke out yesterday after the recovery of the body of a
student of Karimganj College, Aharar Ahmed, who was kidnapped
five days ago, official sources said.
The Army and BSF personnel from neighbouring Hailakandi
and Silchar districts as also the CRPF were brought in to
control the situation,
The curfew was imposed at 6:30 pm yesterday after 13
houses were set ablaze.
The body was found yesterday on the basis of leads
given by five persons, including four women, picked up for
Ahmed`s body was buried this morning at his home village
of Monsangon village in Bhanga area after a post-mortem
examination at the Silchar Medical College Hospital, Dig
Southern Range Binod Kumar Gupta told PTI.
On Thursday evening, 5000-strong mob had set ablaze the
house of the suspected kidnapper Salimuddin at Bhanga between
Badarpur and Karimganj town and then torched 23 other houses,
three roadside food joints and a wine shop demanding that
Aharar be found.
The mob was also angry over the alleged failure of the
administration to prevent sale of country-made and India Made
Foreign Liquor and gambling leading to break down of law and
order and increase in crimes in the area, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi