Dalai Lama arrives on 8-day visit of Sikkim
Gangtok: The Tibetan Spiritual Leader the Dalai Lama arrived at Sikkim on Wednesday on a eight day visit.
He was received by Sikkim Chief Pawan Chamling and his cabinet colleagues at the Pelling Helipad in West Sikkim.
The Sikkim government has banned slaughter of animals in the state during the eight-day stay of the Tibetan Spiritual Leader.
After his arrival at Pelling Helipad the monks from Pemayangtse Monastery in West Sikkim which is considered one of the most holiest monasteries in Sikkim conducted the holy Sherbang, a tradational Buddhist ritual during which elaborate dances and prayers are offered in a procession for the Dalai Lama who is also a Nobel Peace Prize awardee.
Thousands of people had come out to see the Tibetan spiritual leader and receive his blessings.
He was then escorted to the Pemayangtse Monastery where he was welcomed by the head of the monastery which houses hundreds of Buddhist monks.
From the Pemayangtse Monastery which is also near to Rabdentse ruins which is also the Second ancient Capital of Sikkim, The Dalai Lama then flew to Tashiding Monastery where he will be staying till December 17.
On December 18, the Dalai Lama will visit the town of Ravangla in South Sikkim where he shall address a congregation of people at the Tibetan Settlement here. On the same day he is scheduled to visit the Ralong Monastery probably the oldest monastery in Sikkim built during the late 1600s.
On December 19 he will fly to Gangtok where he is scheduled to address a seminar.
On December 22 he will leave for Dharamsala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert