Dalai Lama saddened over Khandu`s death
Dharamsala: Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama on Saturday expressed grief over the death of Arunachal Pradesh chief minister Dorjee Khandu in a helicopter crash last week.
In a message to the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh, the Nobel laureate expressed his sorrow and extended condolences to the families of Khandu and others who died in the crash, a post on the Tibetan government-in-exile`s official website said.
The Dalai Lama, who is currently touring the US, recalled his visit to Arunachal Pradesh in 2009 on the invitation of Khandu.
The Tibetan government-in-exile based here on Friday remembered Khandu`s contribution to improving the lives of the exiles settled in the state.
"My colleagues in the Kashag (cabinet) join me in mourning the tragic demise of Dorjee Khandu. We offer our deepest condolences to his family members," prime minister-in-exile Samdhong Rinpoche said in a message sent to the state chief secretary.
Khandu and four others - two pilots, a personal security officer, and the sister of the Tawang legislator - were killed in the chopper crash on April 30. The bodies were retrieved from the crash site at Lobotang near the 13,700 feet Sela Pass in Tawang district on May 5 after six days of intense search operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan