`Dam at source of Bramhaputra will not have negative effect`
Guwahati: China has told the Centre that
construction of dam at the source of the river Brahmaputra in
its territory will not have negative impact downstream in
India, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Thursday.
"China has told the Central government that there will be
no negative impact downstream in India and so there is nothing
to fear here. However, we have to be vigilant about the
development," Gogoi told reporters here.
The Chinese assurance came when the Prime Minister took up
the matter with Beijing after Assam government drew his
attention to the issue in 2006, he said.
Gogoi said, "We will urge the Centre to have a water
sharing information treaty with China. We will also study the
downstream impact of the Chinese project."
To BJP leader Rajnath Singh`s assertion that the country
should give permission for only small dams in the highly
seismic North Eastern region, Gogoi accused the party of
having double standards as the erstwhile BJP-led Central
government had sanctioned mega dams which were converted to
single purpose power dams.
"They have double standards. The BJP and AGP which
supported mega dams are now realising their negative impact
and waking up," Gogoi said.
On multi-purpose dam for the Lower Subansiri
hydro-electric project at Gerukamukh in Arunachal Pradesh,
Gogoi said, "If it benefits us here, then why should we oppose
it? If it has negative effect here then we will have to force
Arunachal Pradesh to stop the project.
"We will not cooperate and will prevent those projects
that harm us. We have asked the Centre to examine all central,
state and private projects that harm Assam. We have also asked
for law on it," he said.
The chief minister also claimed that he had written to
the then NDA government about the illegal foreigners problem
in the state, but it took no action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured