Dams to harm Assam environment: AASU
Tezpur: Two hydro-electric power projects in Assam and Arunachal Pradesh and the proposed construction of 168 river embankments will change the geographical setup of Assam and its natural environment, the influential All Asom Students` Union (AASU) claimed Wednesday.
Completion of the 2000-MW Lower Subansiri
Hydro-electric Power Project at Gerukamukh in Assam`s Dhemaji
district along Arunachal Pradesh will affect the environment
of northern Assam districts of Dhemaji, Lakhimpur and Sonitpur
hitting lakhs of people, AASU central executive member Jaan
Bora told reporters.
Completion of the Subansiri dam in Kameng district of
Arunachal Pradesh would also cause Brahmaputra`s two major tributaries Ranganadi and Dikrong to dry up in Sonitpur district, he warned.
The 600-MW Kameng Hydro Project in West Kameng
district would affect the human habitations of Bhalukpung,
Itakhola and Rangapara, and animals of Nameri National Park
and Pakke Reserve Forest in Sonitpur district, Bora said.
Asserting the Centre had not assessed the dire effects
of the dams on Sonitpur district, he said, the AASU had
submitted a 494-page report about the impact of the Subansiri
project on the inhabitants and forests of the three districts,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India