Deadlock over Muivah endears Ibobi to Manipur
Imphal: From being a much disliked man to becoming the darling of Manipur, life for Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh has come full circle, thanks to his government`s firm move to ban the entry of Naga separatist leader Thuingaleng Muivah.
For once, the people of Manipur have rallied behind the 62-year-old chief minister - so much so that Singh has turned into a real hero for his belligerent posturing of not allowing Muivah, leader of the National Socialist Council of Nagaland, to visit his birthplace in Manipur`s Ukhrul district.
The decision led to violent protests - three Naga supporters killed in firing by Manipur Police May 6 and - an acute food crisis due to an indefinite economic blockade by Muivah supporters, with trucks carrying essentials and medicines refused entry into Manipur passing through Nagaland via National Highway 39.
The chief minister remained dogged. He was summoned to New Delhi in the first week of May and asked to let Muivah visit his birthplace. A group of ministers led by P. Chidambaram, Pranab Mukherjee and A.K. Antony met him and tried convincing him to let Muivah visit the state, but the plea was turned down flatly by Singh.
"Surely the image of Ibobi Singh has gone up manifold and he has become the darling of the people for the simple reason that he defied the diktat of the central government over Muivah`s visit to Manipur," Babloo Loitongbam, a noted rights leader, told reporters.
Until recently, the streets of Manipur frequently would witness the chief minister being burnt in effigy and demonstrations against the Congress-ruled government on issues ranging from rights violations to salaries not being at par with the central pay scale, besides a myriad local problems.
"The people of Manipur are with the government and despite the food, medicine and fuel crisis, there is no complaint. People are ready to go to work in bicycles and manage the situation," said N. Biren Singh, the state government spokesperson and state irrigation minister.
Surely, the chief minister has managed to salvage his sagging image.
"Whether or not this issue would help Singh politically in the long run is another matter, but for now he is saddled firmly," said T. Singh, a community leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'