Death toll in Arunachal flood rises to four
Itanagar: The death toll in the current wave of floods in Arunachal Pradesh has risen to four with the recovery of three more bodies even as the rivers in worst affected Lohit district were showing a receding trend on Monday.
Two persons died at Durra Nalla area in Lohit district while one person died in West Siang district yesterday. On September 19, a college student had died after being swept away by flood waters at Sunpura in Lohit district, officials said.
While the body of one person has already been recovered in Lohit district, search operation is on to trace out the other, Lohit Deputy Commissioner RK Sharma said.
One Bhuvani Barman fell down from the landslide zone at Likabali in West Siang district yesterday and drowned in the Siji River. His body was recovered later.
Governor JJ Singh and Chief Minister Nabam Tuki mourned the deaths and asked the administration to remain vigilant.
Tuki has announced an ex-gratia of Rs 1.50 lakh each to the next of the kin of the deceased and assured the people that the state government is doing everything possible to rescue the marooned to the safer places.
Concerned over the devastation caused by nature’s fury in East Siang district, the Chief Minister released Rs 10 lakh as immediate relief.
The rivers in Lohit district are showing a receding trend with the intensity of rain reduced from last night. The rainfall data recorded only 112.00 mm in last 24 hours at Tezu, the district headquarters.
Nine persons marooned in the confluence of Kamlang and Lohit rivers were rescued yesterday by an IAF chopper while 30 patients were also lifted to Mohanbari in Assam’s Dibruagarh district from Tezu for further treatment, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US