‘Dev strategy has effect of regional inequalities’
New Delhi: The development strategy being
pursued in the country has the effect of widening regional
inequalities and the northeastern states are victims of it,
Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said on Saturday.
Addressing the National Development Council meeting,
Sarkar said the widening regional inequalities are especially
apparent with respect to the northeastern region, which
continues to remain in a state of abject poverty and
"This region suffers from an absence of infrastructure,
meagerness of employment opportunities, underdevelopment of
educational institutions and a lack of diversification of
economic activities. Not surprisingly, it has become an easy
prey for secessionist and terrorist groups," he said.
The Chief Minister said the Public-Private-Partnership
route favoured by the Planning Commission for initiating
investment projects is almost entirely irrelevant in this
region, since very few investors are willing to come forward
to invest, except with subsidies that are so large that the
very rationale of PPP, namely, the need to supplement
inadequate state resources by private funds, gets defeated.
"Even when the state governments take the initiative to
develop some institutions with their own resources, there is
usually a shortage of personnel for running them since very
few persons are willing to remain in the North-East,
sacrificing careers in the metropolises or in the non-
metropolitan heartland of the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing