‘Dev strategy has effect of regional inequalities’
New Delhi: The development strategy being
pursued in the country has the effect of widening regional
inequalities and the northeastern states are victims of it,
Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said on Saturday.
Addressing the National Development Council meeting,
Sarkar said the widening regional inequalities are especially
apparent with respect to the northeastern region, which
continues to remain in a state of abject poverty and
"This region suffers from an absence of infrastructure,
meagerness of employment opportunities, underdevelopment of
educational institutions and a lack of diversification of
economic activities. Not surprisingly, it has become an easy
prey for secessionist and terrorist groups," he said.
The Chief Minister said the Public-Private-Partnership
route favoured by the Planning Commission for initiating
investment projects is almost entirely irrelevant in this
region, since very few investors are willing to come forward
to invest, except with subsidies that are so large that the
very rationale of PPP, namely, the need to supplement
inadequate state resources by private funds, gets defeated.
"Even when the state governments take the initiative to
develop some institutions with their own resources, there is
usually a shortage of personnel for running them since very
few persons are willing to remain in the North-East,
sacrificing careers in the metropolises or in the non-
metropolitan heartland of the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in