`Development strategy for NE should match ecosystem`
"North East has a different ecosystem in contrast to other states of the country, so the development strategy should be formulated in tune with its natural wealth," the human resource development minister said, speaking at a function to lay foundation stone of National Institute of Technology (NIT) at Chumukedima near here.
"What we need to do with you is to develop a vision through which the ecosystem can be strengthened and the youth of the state can be empowered," he said.
He said time has come for Nagaland to stand up and be recognised as vibrant and progressive state.
"It would be very difficult for Nagaland to be an industrial state as it is not an easy task, but the state with its richness in terms of its natural wealth and reserves can try and develop institutions in the context to that richness instead of trying to replicate what is happening in other parts of the country," Sibal said.
Recalling his visit to Nagland as minister of Science and Technology, Sibal said during his visit he found that Nagaland has been using bamboo as a resource, which he said can be taken forward.
"Bamboo as a resource is exceptionally valuable and the state can be rich through this wealth," he said.
He also observed that Nagaland is rich in water resources and urged the state to look for alternative ways to produce energy.
The minister said the purpose of NIT in any state is to enhance the quality of life of the people living in the region.
"NIT as an institution of pure science has to conquer frontiers of knowledge and contextualise that knowledge in dealing with the problems of the area," he said.
Although today`s foundation stone was laid to construct the permanent complex of NIT, the classes for the institute had begun from September 20 in temporary buildings of the state government.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!