`Development strategy for NE should match ecosystem`
"North East has a different ecosystem in contrast to other states of the country, so the development strategy should be formulated in tune with its natural wealth," the human resource development minister said, speaking at a function to lay foundation stone of National Institute of Technology (NIT) at Chumukedima near here.
"What we need to do with you is to develop a vision through which the ecosystem can be strengthened and the youth of the state can be empowered," he said.
He said time has come for Nagaland to stand up and be recognised as vibrant and progressive state.
"It would be very difficult for Nagaland to be an industrial state as it is not an easy task, but the state with its richness in terms of its natural wealth and reserves can try and develop institutions in the context to that richness instead of trying to replicate what is happening in other parts of the country," Sibal said.
Recalling his visit to Nagland as minister of Science and Technology, Sibal said during his visit he found that Nagaland has been using bamboo as a resource, which he said can be taken forward.
"Bamboo as a resource is exceptionally valuable and the state can be rich through this wealth," he said.
He also observed that Nagaland is rich in water resources and urged the state to look for alternative ways to produce energy.
The minister said the purpose of NIT in any state is to enhance the quality of life of the people living in the region.
"NIT as an institution of pure science has to conquer frontiers of knowledge and contextualise that knowledge in dealing with the problems of the area," he said.
Although today`s foundation stone was laid to construct the permanent complex of NIT, the classes for the institute had begun from September 20 in temporary buildings of the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured