DG, Prisons removed in Meghalaya
Shillong: Taking cognizance of the scuffle inside a high security area of a jail here, the Meghalaya government Thursday removed Director-General, Prisons Kulbir Kishan and appointed Inspector-General F D Sangma in his post, though on a temporary basis.
State home minister Roshan Warjri said, "We have relieved Kishan from the post he held as DG Prisons.”
Kishan, who was among five senior IPS officers tipped to take over as state Director-General of Police, will however, continue to hold charge of Home Guards and Civil Defense.
The 1977 IPS officer has had a tumultuous time during his four year charge of the Prison department during which several lapses were unearthed.
The worst was when seven prisoners escaped from the century-old jail here in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Wonder marathon boy Budhia Singh returns to Odisha, says he was on vacation
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver