DG, Prisons removed in Meghalaya
Shillong: Taking cognizance of the scuffle inside a high security area of a jail here, the Meghalaya government Thursday removed Director-General, Prisons Kulbir Kishan and appointed Inspector-General F D Sangma in his post, though on a temporary basis.
State home minister Roshan Warjri said, "We have relieved Kishan from the post he held as DG Prisons.”
Kishan, who was among five senior IPS officers tipped to take over as state Director-General of Police, will however, continue to hold charge of Home Guards and Civil Defense.
The 1977 IPS officer has had a tumultuous time during his four year charge of the Prison department during which several lapses were unearthed.
The worst was when seven prisoners escaped from the century-old jail here in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder