Direct train from Tripura to all cities in two years
Agartala: Direct train service from Agartala to all metropolitan cities of the country via Guwahati would be introduced by 2015, N F Railway sources said Thursday.
"Gauge conversion is continuing in full swing from Lumding in Assam to Kumarghat in Tripura via Badarpur and would be completed by March 2015. Tracks from Kumarghat to Agartala is presently at narrow gauge, but lines were laid in broad gauge format and it would take very little time to convert in broad gauge," DRM of N F Railway, Rakesh Kumar Goel said.
He said, the train will reach up to Udaipur, the headquarters of Gomati district by the same time.
State government officials said acquisition of land up to Udaipur, about 55 KM from here, has been completed and the process for land acquisition up to Sabroom, a border town in south Tripura district, has been started.
N F Railway sources said, extension of rail line up to Sabroom would be completed by 2016.
The distance between Sabroom and Chittagong port in Bangladesh, considered to be the best port in South-East Asia is just 75 KM and if the railway is extended up to Sabroom it would boost trade between the neighbouring country and India?s North-East.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming