Do not fall in trap of ultras, Tripura youths told
Agartala: Against the backdrop of a recruitment drive by an outlawed insurgent outfit, the Tripura Police on Thursday appealed to surrendered militants and tribal youths not to fall into their trap.
"A big conspiracy has been hatched by the insurgents of banned National Liberation Front of Tripura to recruit tribal youths ahead of the assembly elections due in February next year," IG (Police Control), Nepal Das said.
The insurgents were also extorting money from construction agencies in the state with the help of a small section of surrendered extremists and their sympathisers, Das said.
He said the state police department has made an appeal to all the surrendered militants and youths and their parents not to fall into the trap.
Das said, three surrendered insurgents were arrested on June 16 with Rs 25 lakh, which they were to handover to NLFT chief, Biswamohan Debbarma in Bangladesh.
He said on the basis of inputs by the arrested insurgents, two more surrendered insurgents of NLFT were arrested who were involved in recruitment of insurgents and in extortion.
The IG said, four tribal youths, who wanted to enter Bangladesh, hired a vehicle five days ago from Teliamura in Khowai district and killed its driver.
The vehicle was recovered from Khaptali a remote tribal hamlet in South Tripura district, bordering Chittagong Hill Tract of Bangladesh, yesterday, he said.
Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar recently said that despite effort by security forces in Bangladesh that insurgents do not use the soil of that country, they were still doing so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!