DoNER Minister asks NE CMs to generate funds
Guwahati: Turning down the request by North Eastern Chief Ministers to enhance fund allocation to the region, DoNER Minister Gen (retd) VK Singh on Friday asked the states to work towards generating self revenue.
"Funds are always at premium for any government. The states must go for generating self revenue. The Centre can be there for only assistance. It cannot be like that states will have zero revenue and all funds will come from the Centre," Singh said after the two-day conference of Chief Ministers from North Eastern states.
Without elaborating, he said insufficient funds for any developmental project can be because of various reason.
"What I will insist on the states that look at your own pockets first and see that your pockets are full. Only then take new projects," Singh said after the conference, which was jointly organised by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region and Assam government.
He also said respective state PWD departments should partner in to complete the delayed or abandoned projects with the Centre.
"When everyone`s efforts are pulled in, then timeline is shorter. Otherwise, timeline will be longer," he said.
Yesterday, the Chief Ministers of the eight states complained about insufficient funds allotted to the region to carry out developmental works.
The Chief Ministers had strongly advocated raising the limit for fund allocation so that many delayed and abandoned projects can be completed.
Talking about improving connectivity of the region with rest of the country, Singh said a lot of projects are being implemented at this moment to have better roads, rail links, and airports in North East.
"In the next 2-3 years, we will have much better connectivity with North East," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price