DoNER Minister asks NE CMs to generate funds
Guwahati: Turning down the request by North Eastern Chief Ministers to enhance fund allocation to the region, DoNER Minister Gen (retd) VK Singh on Friday asked the states to work towards generating self revenue.
"Funds are always at premium for any government. The states must go for generating self revenue. The Centre can be there for only assistance. It cannot be like that states will have zero revenue and all funds will come from the Centre," Singh said after the two-day conference of Chief Ministers from North Eastern states.
Without elaborating, he said insufficient funds for any developmental project can be because of various reason.
"What I will insist on the states that look at your own pockets first and see that your pockets are full. Only then take new projects," Singh said after the conference, which was jointly organised by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region and Assam government.
He also said respective state PWD departments should partner in to complete the delayed or abandoned projects with the Centre.
"When everyone`s efforts are pulled in, then timeline is shorter. Otherwise, timeline will be longer," he said.
Yesterday, the Chief Ministers of the eight states complained about insufficient funds allotted to the region to carry out developmental works.
The Chief Ministers had strongly advocated raising the limit for fund allocation so that many delayed and abandoned projects can be completed.
Talking about improving connectivity of the region with rest of the country, Singh said a lot of projects are being implemented at this moment to have better roads, rail links, and airports in North East.
"In the next 2-3 years, we will have much better connectivity with North East," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- North Korean Air Koryo plane makes emergency landing in China - Xinhua
- A carnival of contrasting views near Cleveland''s Republican convention
- PML-N sweeps assembly polls in Pakistan occupied Kashmir
- PokéDates is here! Now, find love while catching Pokemon
- Quit TV as I couldn't do saas-bahu shows: Surveen Chawla