DoNER Minister asks NE CMs to generate funds
Guwahati: Turning down the request by North Eastern Chief Ministers to enhance fund allocation to the region, DoNER Minister Gen (retd) VK Singh on Friday asked the states to work towards generating self revenue.
"Funds are always at premium for any government. The states must go for generating self revenue. The Centre can be there for only assistance. It cannot be like that states will have zero revenue and all funds will come from the Centre," Singh said after the two-day conference of Chief Ministers from North Eastern states.
Without elaborating, he said insufficient funds for any developmental project can be because of various reason.
"What I will insist on the states that look at your own pockets first and see that your pockets are full. Only then take new projects," Singh said after the conference, which was jointly organised by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region and Assam government.
He also said respective state PWD departments should partner in to complete the delayed or abandoned projects with the Centre.
"When everyone`s efforts are pulled in, then timeline is shorter. Otherwise, timeline will be longer," he said.
Yesterday, the Chief Ministers of the eight states complained about insufficient funds allotted to the region to carry out developmental works.
The Chief Ministers had strongly advocated raising the limit for fund allocation so that many delayed and abandoned projects can be completed.
Talking about improving connectivity of the region with rest of the country, Singh said a lot of projects are being implemented at this moment to have better roads, rail links, and airports in North East.
"In the next 2-3 years, we will have much better connectivity with North East," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- RBI to lower rates by another 0.50% in FY17: Morgan Stanley
- Telcos take cover under new technology to mask call drops
- Black money: PM Modi to visit Switzerland, discuss issue with Swiss Prez
- Indian discus thrower Seema Punia qualifies for 2016 Rio Olympics
- Karan Singh Grover had a great time at 'The Kapil Sharma Show', wants to visit again!