Don`t accept any inducements: Poll panel to NE media
Agartala: Media organisations in the election-bound northeastern states of Tripura, Meghalaya and Nagaland have been asked not to accept any kind of inducement, financial or otherwise to project a candidate or a party, poll panel officials said here on Friday.
People who flout these rules will be punished with imprisonment up to two years and/or fines.
"Besides any kind of incentive, financial or otherwise, the media should not accept hospitality or other facilities offered by the party or a candidate to project them in the polls," Tripura chief electoral officer Ashutosh Jindal told reporters here.
"The (Election) Commission has issued a set of guidelines for the media organisations in the three poll-bound states. Any person who contravenes the guideline shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both."
According to the poll panel guidelines, it will be the duty of the press to give objective reporting about elections and the candidates. Newspapers are not expected to indulge in unhealthy election campaigns, exaggerated reports about any candidate and party or incident during the elections.
"The media should eschew reports, which tend to promote feelings of enmity or hatred between people on the ground of religion, race, caste, community or language," the rules said.
The 11-point guidelines also said that media shall not accept and publish any advertisement at the cost of public exchequer regarding achievements of a party or a government in power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!