Drinking water scarcity grips most parts of Nagaland
Kohima: With intensification of the prolonged dry spell, acute drinking water scarcity has gripped this capital town with water selling for Rs 20 a bucket.
Reports of water shortage from other district towns of the hill state have been received with authorities regulating the supply so that at least all residential colonies could get
water on a rotational basis.
At Kohima, the situation further aggravated with the damage of the main supply pipe at Jotsoma village near here since Monday as an uprooted tree fell on it the previous day
following heavy winds, PHE department officials said, adding that repairs might take a few days.
The PHE department has made arrangements to distribute drinking water by water tankers and trucks to the people in coordination with the district administration, Kohima
Municipal Council and other departments.
The distribution of water has started in some residential wards since yesterday giving some respite, but hotels and those who reside beside main thoroughfares of the
town have been at the mercy of private water vendors.
A pair of buckets of water supplied by the vendors costs at least Rs 20 with buyers having no choice about the source.
The distribution by tankers in the wards would continue till April 30 subject to extension, PHE secretary Zhaleo Rio said.
A nominal fee of 20 paise a litre will be realised for the water distributed, he said in a notification.
The department has said the water was for drinking and cooking and under no circumstance will a tanker of water be sold to any individual or party, such as hotels and
The department has, however, permitted a panchayat chairman or ward councillor to buy a full tanker at the prescribed rate for distribution to the people, it said.
A control room has been opened with phone numbers and the department has asked the citizens to contact for any help or information on distribution of water by tankers in the
The dwellers in surrounding villagers have also complained that most streams on hills are slowly drying up since the state experienced less rainfall during monsoon and
there was hardly any rain since November.
Since water scarcity during the winter (December-April) is a reality in Nagaland, the state
government has encouraged people to take up rain water harvesting in their residences to cover the lean period as the state receives high rainfall during monsoon.
Most buildings under various departments that came up in past few years have rain water harvesting facilities on roof tops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'