Drug overdose claims 13 lives in Mizoram
Aizawl: At least 13 people, mostly youths and high school students, have died due to suspected drug overdose in less than a month in this Mizoram capital, officials said on Monday.
"Most of the people were brought unconscious with symptoms of drug overdose to the hospital where many of them died. Thirteen people have died in the civil hospital since December 20, 2012," Aizawl Civil Hospital`s Emergency department medical officer Jeremy Pachuau told reporters.
"Some of the people were cured by administering antidotes while some died as their treatment started too late," the official added.
Pachuau said that in the preliminary study seemed most of the cases were due to consumption of cough syrup spiked with grape wine which could produce dangerous chemical reactions.
Cough syrup, which contained high dose of codeine and other drugs, is frequently used as an intoxicant among young people in the northeast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you